Monday, January 20, 2014

Project Life 2014, Week 1

I'm embarking on a new adventure by documenting one week at a time in my album. As the new year began, I put a lot of thought into just how I wanted my weeks to run, documentation-wise, and I finally decided on Saturday - Friday. I wanted to be sure that my weekends were lumped together (not split between 2 separate weeks), and I figured that ending my documented week on a Friday would give me all weekend to put the layout together. 

On that schedule, my Week 1 began on January 4. Here's how it looks in my album:
Compared to what I'm used to, this layout is very busy, but it really makes my heart happy! I used Photoshop Elements 12 to journal directly on almost all of my pictures, so not only am I getting more pictures in this layout, but I'm getting more words as well. 

Here's the left side:
WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE: Monica and I were finishing up Winter Break, we took a trip to Bass Pro Shop, we had some great snow to play in, and I went to my great aunt's funeral. During the reception after the funeral, we took a "cousins picture" with my mom's generation for posterity's sake. The curtain behind them was the most horrendous color, but the picture was too special not to include!

TECHNIQUES: I used Cathy Zielske's Week In Review card to summarize my week in the top left. I dropped a paper from Just Jaimee's Storyteller 2014 kit on the background to bring together some of the crazy colors on this layout. 
I used the same paper and cropped out a 3x4 section and added Cathy Zielske's Minimal Week Circle Stamp and typed in the date for this spread. 
I took tons of pictures this week, so I used Cathy Zielske's Labeled Photo Sets to make a collage of some of my favorites.

Here's the right side:
WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE: School was closed to to sub-zero temps on Tuesday so Monica and I had plenty of time to cook a fun dinner together (complete with sparkling juice in a wine glass for Monica!) Olly got a long overdue haircut. Jason texted me a selfie (he is NOT a selfie kinda guy so it had to make an appearance!) from work in the brutal cold. I snapped a quick everyday photo of Monica's "smiley face" breakfast (we have a hundred variations of ways to make a smiley face because why shouldn't you start your day with a happy breakfast?!). Thursday was Olly's 12th birthday and Oreoe's 1st birthday, Monica drew me an adorable superhero picture I wanted to save, and I grabbed an image of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for movie night.

TECHNIQUES: I used a "Tuesday memories" stamp from Ali Edwards' Embracing the Everyday set to dress up a picture of Monica and the dinner she helped me cook.
I tagged a few of my pictures with Cindy's Layered Labels to identify the day of the week. You can color each and every piece of the label, which is a fun way to customize your documentation. 

I love, love, love Rukristin's Currently cards. It's an awesome way to document right now, especially for things that don't usually feel like a big deal at the time. I've enjoyed looking back to older cards to see what I was reading or watching, or what song was stuck in my head at the time. I plan to include a Currently card in each week's layout.
I scanned in Monica's fun Super Girl drawing so that I could fit it into a 6x4 slot and preserve the memory. I used PSE to journal the memory in bright pink font.
So there's Week 1 for me and I must say that 2014 is already off to a busy start! I imagine that my style will evolve as I continue down the road on this project. When I first got the layout done, I sat back and said, "WHOA," because it is a very busy layout. As I looked it over, though, there was very little I would have taken out because it's got memories crammed into every corner. As this becomes a more routine process I will probably take fewer pictures and use more filler cards to give the eye a rest, but I want to keep including everyday memories and moments. 

So far, I love this project!

Project Life is a pocket style memory keeping system designed by the brilliant Becky Higgins

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing you work on weekly pages. I can never seem to get myself organized enough for it but love watching others do it. Thanks for linking up on Memory Keeping Monday.

    ReplyDelete